If you’re planning to sell your home this Spring, now is the perfect time to start preparing. Here’s our list of the most important things you should be doing now to get your home ready for a Spring sale.
* Spring Clean – Begin your annual Spring clean a little earlier this year. Start inside kitchen cupboards and wardrobes, clearing out all those items at the back you haven’t used or worn for over a year. Donate any clothes to charity, sell on eBay or give away to those in need. You’ll be thankful you did this now instead of waiting until after the sale to start. A top to bottom clean is a great way to prepare your home for sale.
* Lawns/Gardens – Tidy up the gardens including weeding, removal of any dead plants, and if you have any gaps, take a trip to the local flower shop for some replacement plants. A layer of mulch will add some colour and make the garden look like new. Grass grows more slowly in Winter time so you probably haven’t had to mow the lawns very often. We recommend leaving this to the last few days before the photos are taken to ensure the outdoor shots look their best.
* Repairs & Maintenance – Make a list of all those repairs you’ve been putting off such as peeling paint, broken light fittings, cracked windows etc. One of the biggest concerns and costs for buyers is whether the roof is in good condition so it’s a good idea to also get the gutters cleaned and roof inspected for any repairs such as broken tiles. These days, not many buyers will exchange without doing a pest and building inspection so it’s worthwhile fixing anything in advance that could potentially show up on a report. Inside, if the carpet looks a little dull, a good steam clean usually does the trick. However if they’re quite worn, investing in some new carpets is always money well spent.
* Windows – Sparkling clean windows are a great way to allow maximum sunlight into your home. They also give the impression the home is well maintained which is an important consideration for most buyers. Removal of any mildew and cobwebs that have built up over the Winter months can also be done at the same time.
* Declutter – This is one of the most important aspects of preparing your home for sale. Remove any personal items from display, especially jewellery and family photographs. Ask yourself whether it will be easy for groups of people to navigate their way around your home. Too much furniture can cause a room to feel small so work out which items you need to keep as a minimum and either store or dispose of the rest. Less = more when it comes to selling property.
* Call in your local real estate agents – Once you’ve finished preparing the property for sale, it’s time to call in your local real estate agents. Show them around your home and find out about their experience in selling properties similar to yours. How long have they been in the local area? How many properties have they sold in your price bracket? What outstanding sales have they benchmarked in the last 6 months? What is their suggested method of sale? How much do they think they can achieve for your home? But a word of warning, don’t assume the agent who gives you the highest estimate is the best agent for the job. After all, they’re job is to win your business!
* Be COVID safe – As part of your agent selection process, find out what procedures each agency has in place to protect you and your home during this time. You want to ensure they have a consistent approach including how many people are able to inspect the property at any one time as well as good hygiene methods. There are many agents out there still disregarding necessary protocols needed to help prevent the spread of this disease.
* Final Touches – When you are ready for the first open home, some fresh colourful flowers strategically placed will accentuate that Spring feel. Combined with some light music and scented candles, visitors to your home will experience a positive vibe and the ability to imagine themselves living there. When buyers become emotionally attached to a property, you can expect them to pay a little bit more to secure their new home.
With Spring just around the corner, we can’t wait for the arrival of some warmer weather. Hopefully it will be met with a more positive outlook for us all. If you’re on the fence about whether or not to sell this Spring, our advice would be to start preparing now so when the time comes and should you decide to proceed, you can act quickly and get a head start on the traditional rush.
As your local Sutherland Shire agent, we welcome the opportunity to assist you with selling your home this Spring. Don’t hesitate to give the team at djw property a call on 9544 9688 for an obligation free discussion.